Žimrovice – history
The village, which is the only one of this name in the Czech Republic, lies in the valley of the Moravice 287 m above the sea level. Hanuše hill, a subject of many legends, e. g. about sleeping knights prepared to defend Silesia in its worst times, stretches to the west of it.
It is not quite clear how the name of the village originated. The first written record is from 1357. The village suffered during the Silesian Wars and later in the war with Napoleon. The life of villagers slowly changed after the abolition of compulsory labour in 1848. In 1890s Carl Weisshuhn, an entrepreneur, started building a paper mill and a mill race in the village.
The village council started to confer in Czech in 1907. During WWII several villagers were active in illegal organizations. 3 Soviet and 6 German soldiers were killed in liberation fights; Žimrovice was liberated on 4th May 1945. 15 families left the village to start a new life in the villages near the border, the German population of which had to leave for Germany.
In 1994 the village and its surroundings became a part of the Natural Park of the Moravice. During summer season Žimrovice comes alive with tourism. Beauties of nature in the valley of the Moravice attracts owners of cottages and second holiday homes, cyclists and hikers, several times a year the village hosts lovers of canoeing who take part in a race down the river.
The most active organization in the village is the voluntary fire brigade. In May 2009 the population of the village was 764.
St. Joseph´s Chapel
The chapel, consecrated to St. Joseph, was built in 1832 and repaired in 1982. A cross nearby is from 1886.